Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Nun and Her 'Habit'

After work today I stopped in at Superstore in Moose Jaw for a couple of things. On my way out, I saw a most curious sight: a nun purchasing lottery tickets. I found this to be very surprising, because, I suppose, gambling is usually frowned upon in moral circles, and a gambling nun sounds like an oxymoron. Perhaps if I would have asked her why she was buying them, she may have said, "To give the money to those who need it," or, "our chapel really needs a new paint job!" But I didn't ask her... Instead, when I got home, I looked up what Vatican II has to say about gambling.

According to Catholics United for the Faith, "Gambling is not intrinsically evil and can be a legitimate form of entertainment so long as it is kept within the confines of virtuous conduct. Given the tragic consequences of habitual or excessive gambling, one should exercise caution and vigilance in this area."

According to this statement, if the nun was gambling to improve the chapel or whatever else, this would be allowed: "
Since bingo and other forms of gambling are not intrinsically evil, they maybe used as a means of raising money for parishes."

And even if she were gambling for only her own gain, she'd still be within her right, as long as she does so for entertainment, and exercises discretion and moderation.

So then, based on CUF's interpretation of Vatican II, it would seem that a nun can gamble as long as it doesn't become an unhealthy habit.

No comments: