Thursday, March 26, 2009

Early Morning Acquisitions


This morning, Archibald Library at Briercrest College & Seminary is holding a used book sale. I got in there at 8:02am, and already there were more than 20 people skimming the racks. I walked away with a few good titles, such as The Unaborted Socrates (Peter Kreeft), The Christian Educator's Handbook on Teaching (Gangel & Hendricks), and The Dead Sea Scrolls and the New Testament (W. S. LaSor). My favourite is definitely Reverend S. R. Driver's Critical and Exegetical Commentary on Deuteronomy. It's a 1909 edition, originally published in 1902. Driver is one of the bigwigs who put together BDB ("Brown-Driver-Briggs"), a standard Hebrew/Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament, so you know Rev. Driver knows his stuff. I figure a 2nd edition is pretty good. It's in need of delicate care, and that it will most certainly receive on my shelf!

No comments: