Monday, July 2, 2007

The makings of a strong connection...


Today we stand victorious o'er a problem that has harrowed us since we first arrived in Caronport. Our phone jack. Jenn put it well in saying that our phone jack is "rotting." Every once and a while another piece of it crumbles off and leaves our connection to the telephonic network even more uncertain. There have been many instances in which we have enjoyed a quiet evening without the phone ringing, only to realize that the reason the phone has not rung is because the phone cord had become slightly loose, and was no longer making a connection. The phone would be dead, and our answering machine wouldn't be able to pick up any missed calls. So on those days, it is as though we were completely without a phone.

Last night was the last straw. It was Canada Day, and we had planned to get together with some friends around 9:30 to watch the fireworks in Moose Jaw (which by the way were some of the best and longest fireworks I have ever seen --- way better than even Niagra Falls', or the show put on for Saskatchewan's centennial!). Our friends, Stafford and Joanne, told us that they would give us a call later on to let us know if they could come along. Well, it was approaching 9:30 and we hadn't heard from them. I tried to call them and realized -- OUR LINE WAS DEAD! So I maniacally forced the cord back into the wall, called it a few names, and was then able to make my call. On the phone, Stafford asked me, "Did you guys go out for a while or something? We tried to call a few times earlier, but the phone just kept ringing and ringing, and your answering machine never kicked in." I assured him we hadn't, and that the fault completely lay with our phone jack.

When I got off the phone, I said aloud, "That's the last straw! Jenn, where's the masking tape?!" For the next 15 minutes I ensured that our eroding phone jack would never again cause us this frustration! The picture above is the result of my retribution. I don't believe we shall ever again suffer from a faulty phone jack. Resistance is futile. And... impossible. If you were a phone jack, could you move under that much tape?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although the tape job is quite a primitive fix, I really do appreciate the fact that you took the time to do it all symmetrically. It’s a borderline work of art now!
As far as fireworks go, Kim and I skipped out this year. I’ve seen some really “great” shows before (New Years in Disney World/Land), but the man-made shows just don’t do much for me. Lightning on the other hand - that’s where it’s at.