Friday, August 14, 2009

A little piece of renovational advice


If you ever install new windows into your home, I have some very important advice for you. If you use expanding foam to fill the hole between the window and its frame, make sure you wear gloves. Last weekend Jenn and I installed some windows for some of our friends, and I used the expanding foam, figuring it's just like silicone. Wrong! Silicone rubs off skin once it's dry. The foam does not. Looking on the internet for methods of removal, one site helpfully recommended "three Hail Marys or an atomic bomb." Thanks for that.

What worked in the end was patience, water, and a lot of sandpaper... Not extremely pleasant, but I got my hands back. So, please heed my warning. Use gloves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes!
That stuff sure can be nasty.
While I did wear gloves when I installed our basement windows - they were of the "well worn" variety. Most of my finger tips had an extra bit of texture for a few days afterwards... it was actually kind of nice.