Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What? Is it my shift already?


Today was the start of intramural hockey. I'm not on the team... With six classes and loads of papers, I can't dream of being committed twice a week to a team. Maybe next year. But tonight I got out there with the guys for an exhibition game. A few of the guys I worked with this summer are on one of the teams, so I played with them.

It was great! Though my skates were rusty, and my breathing was laboured, and my legs were burning, it was tons of fun. It's to be expected, I think, on the first game, to feel as though you will puke after every shift.. Happily, my body restrained itself. That in itself is a victory. It's amazing how tired a person becomes after only 30 seconds of skating... It seemed like there was some sort of conspiracy; every time I finally got back on the bench, it was my turn to get out there again. "What?! My turn already?!" I'd lament as someone pushed me out the door... Oh well, since I happened to grab the Captain's jersey in the lock-room, I figure I better do my part.

In other news...

This year is progressing nicely. Jenn has won the confidence of everyone she works with in the Academic Office. She's got those faculty eating out of her hand -- and why shouldn't they? She's the mastermind that makes their jobs possible. Without behind-the-scenes crew members like her, there is no way Briercrest could run as it does.

On my end, I have more papers to write than I know what to do with, but I'm having the funnest (or perhaps "meatiest") school year I've ever had. I think I was predestined to be a nerd. My whole life has led up to it. Why fight it? If you're on a speed boat that is about to hit a humongous wave, you don't cower in the sight of it; rather, you squeeze the hand of the person next to you (preferably your spouse), and exclaim, "This is going to be some ride!"

Jenn and I have also taken up a serious interest in The Office (US). It's just the right combination of awkward, annoying, hilarious, and touching to keep us hooked and coming back for more. And speaking of The Office, it's time that we back to it...

Peace out, Internet.

No comments: