Thursday, June 21, 2007

Interview gone biblical

The last few days I've been job hunting in Moose Jaw. I've been hired half time by the school to do some maintenance stuff around the campus, but I've been in search of job #2. When I dropped of a resume at Staples a few days ago, they set up an interview right away for today. It was very strange... Possibly the weirdest, and most enjoyable I've ever had!

When Tony, the manager interviewing me, saw that I was studying to receive a BA in Biblical Studies, he became interested and asked all sorts of questions about what sort of ministry I wanted to get into. He talked for a long time on the importance of having a wider view of the Gospel - not just that Jesus died for our sins, but that the Gospel encompasses all of life once a person has surrendered him/herself to God - and that he was quite glad to see people taking biblical education working in secular jobs. He continued saying, "The secular job environment is a ministry in itself, wouldn't you agree?" I started thinking, "What the heck? Is this an interview for Staples, or is this a pastoral candidacy?" So I kept him going for a while so we didn't have discuss all the regular questions.

Later on he asked what my most difficult class had been. I explained that it was Old Testament Social Justice -- a class that looked at the Law of the Old Testament along with its promises, blessings, and curses, and used those as a framework to look at social issues in our own time - such as how Nike treats its factory workers, or the way the homeless are dealt with in different parts of the world, world hunger, prostitution, slavery, etc... I told him it was a tough course because it makes you feel like a bad person for being so rich and doing basically nothing, and also because it's an interdisciplinary class forcing you to smash two areas of study into one. Weirdly enough, this is his main "extra-curricular" interest, and he talked about this for 10 minutes or so, even siting Christopher H. Wright's book, "Old Testament Ethics," the book that was the textbook for the class.

So, by the time we finished discussing all that stuff, we had to hurry through the regular interview questions before the hour was up. I have another interview with the other manager tomorrow. I doubt I'll have a repeat-experience. But just incase, I think I'll brush up on a few things tonight...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lukester,
I'm really enjoying the new blog - marriage has really increased your production (and quality I might add).
It's good to hear that you and Jenn seem to be settling in in Caronport. Just don't stay too long though - that town has a creepy way of consuming the people who live there (the "you go in but never come out" sort of thing).
Until later, friend.

Leah said...

Hey guys! First off, congratuations to the two of you(although this is a tad late, I now realize.) Second, I thought I should explain that I followed the link from Jenn's email to find your blog, and am now warning you that I may in fact choose to read it once in a while, (because I like you guys and Luke is an entertaining author). That being said, I hope to have avoided any suspicion of "blog creeping" if another comment or two ever pops up on here. Blessings to you!

Luke and Jenn said...

Jon, it's true what you say about Caronport's consumption method. We've been warned by a few people already about "becoming Lifers." It seems that Caronport can operated in a similar manner to the Wood Between Worlds where Digery and Polly almost remained forever (in The Magician's Nephew).